At the Ironheart Foundation, we use physical movement, exercise and sport to empower, transform and positively impact lives that have been affected by heart disease. We do this by creating programs that emphasize:
Social Engagement and Community - Patient Referral - Scholarship
The Ironheart Scholarship Program provides financial support to students who have personally been affected by heart disease and who have used physical movement, exercise and/or sport to improve their lives and inspire others.
Am I eligible?
- If you are 16 years or older and are currently a high school senior or enrolled in post high-school education*
- If you will be enrolled in post high-school education* in the fall of 2020
- If you are physically active and you exercise in some way (Through organized or unorganized sport)
- if you have a cardiac related diagnosis.
- If you have medical clearance to be physically active
- If you have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- if you are able to share your story online
...then you are eligible!
Relatives of Board Members, Ironheart Scholarship Committee Members or Employees are not eligible.
* two-year college, four-year university, graduate school, or licensed trade and vocational school
How do I apply?
Take a breath and check your pulse… We make it fairly simple as we don’t want your heart rate to rise! You must create a profile and complete the required information. Some of the required elements include:
- An personal essay of no more than 1500 words describing your experience with heart disease and physical movement.
- Your high school transcript.
- Release with parents signature that says we can use your photo and excerpts from your entry on our website, as well as excerpts from your social media profiles.
- List of three references, including Names, Titles, Email Address, Phone # (No relatives)
- Name of current school, address and contact details for administrator (Principal, counselor, coach)
The number of Scholarships and the Scholarship award amounts will vary. Minimum award starting in 2020 will be $500, with future amounts adjusted accordingly to the sum of donations received for that year. Scholarships must be used for covering costs associated with education-related expenses, including tuition, books, fees, room and board.
How do I apply?
When the next application cycle opens, sign up and start filling out your profile. You can save it and come back to it as many times as you like. When it’s complete, check the “I’m Done” box no later than Feb 28 2020, save the profile, and it will be sent to our committee for review.