At the Ironheart Foundation, we use physical movement, exercise and sport to empower, transform and positively impact lives that have been affected by heart disease. We do this by creating programs that emphasize:
Social Engagement and Community - Patient Referral - Scholarship
Applications open for the 2018 Ironheart Scholarship Program open on November 19, 2017. Winners will be announced in Spring 2018.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must:
- be a student aged 16 years or older and a high school Senior, or currently enrolled in an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, graduate school or licensed trade/vocational school.
- Plan on attending/or currently enrolled in a two-year college, four-year university, graduate school, or licensed trade and vocational school in the fall of 2018
- Be physically active and exercise in some way (Through organized or unorganized sport)
- Have a cardiac related diagnosis.
- Have medical clearance to be physically active
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Able to share your story online
- Relatives of Board Members, Ironheart Scholarship Committee Members or Employees are not eligible.
The candidates must submit:
- An essay of no more than 1500 words which addresses the questions below:
- How has heart disease changed your view of your purpose in life?
- How has physical movement or sport helped you recover and inspire others?
- How has living with heart disease had an effect on your chosen career path and future?
- How would being an Ironheart Scholarship recipient assist you?
- Up to 3 high-resolution photos, including a head-shot and photos of you being active.
- Your high school transcript.
- Release with parents signature that says we can use your photo and excerpts from your entry on our website, as well as excerpts from your social media profiles.
- Your social media handles (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat)
- List of three references, including Names, Titles, Email Address, Phone # (No relatives)
- Names/Email of news outlets in your area
- Name of current school, address and contact details for administrator (Principal, counselor, coach)
The number of Scholarships and the Scholarship award amounts will vary. Minimum award starting in 2018 will be $500, with future amounts adjusted accordingly to the sum of donations received for that year. Scholarships must be used for covering costs associated with education-related expenses, including tuition, books, fees, room and board.
How do I apply?
On November 15, we'll provide a register link where you can sign up and start filling out your profile. You can save it and come back to it as many times as you like. When it’s complete, check the “I’m Done” box, save the profile, and it will be sent to our committee for review.